Saturday, March 7, 2015

Success!

This morning I ran a 5k. Which is kind of amazing since I only started running a month and a half ago. Growing up I was not very athletic. Exercising was not my thing. I did not enjoy getting all sweaty and being out of breath. Hiking or canoeing was the extent of my exercise. Yet I've always had a dream to run a marathon. How would I ever do that if running even a quarter mile made me out of breath. A few months ago I expressed to some friends how I wanted to be better about exercising regularly. At that point it meant going on a mile walk. Gradually it increased. Then somehow my roommate found out I have a dream to run a marathon. With a lot of encouragement and goading she convinced me to sign up for a 5K. I still recall the day I ran my first mile. It was an awesome feeling! I thought my legs would give out and I'd pass out from breathing so heavily. My friend was so good about pushing me and keeping me going and then celebrating with me when I made it. Once I made it once it became almost addicting. I wanted to see if I could do more. If I could run up some hills. If I could run faster and/or longer. Then this morning came and I ran that 5k! The whole time I imagined my friend by my side encouraging me and telling me, "Okay let's run to the stop sign. Alright great job! Now let's run to the red truck. Awesome! Now that light post. You're doing amazing!"And at the finish line I ran faster than I ever have to make a good time and give it my all. I feel so empowered! I am on the road to success! Well, I succeeded this morning. I am stronger than I thought. I can do things I always wanted to do but never thought I would be able to do. Or even find the drive to do so. Now that marathon seems just a bit closer. And a little more attainable. I think we are more successful than we realize or give ourselves credit for. We are more like Christ than we know and perfection is closer than we realize and can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment